Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Miracles alone cannot give life change

Then he also went to Ramah, and came to the great well that is at Sechu. So he asked, and said, “Where are Samuel and David?” And someone said, “Indeed they are at Naioth in Ramah.” So he went there to Naioth in Ramah. Then the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on and prophesied until he came to Naioth in Ramah. And he also stripped off his clothes and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Therefore they say, “Is Saul also among the prophets?” - 1 Sam 19:22-24

iv. A person can be affected by the power of God (resulting in amazing experiences), but not surrendered to the power of God, which results in a change of life. - Guzik

Saul prophesying was remarkable because he had been so nonspiritual. Yet God was able to use him in a miraculous way. I'm often skeptical of people that perform miracles or have especially observable spiritual gifts because I know it doesn't mean they are any closer to God than I am - only that God would like to use them in that instance. I wonder about their true spiritual condition because I know the danger of being able to be used by God but not surrendering to Him.

When I look at my own life I plead, "God, I hope that I am not one of these that can be used by you for an amazing experience, but is not surrendered to you." Leading worship on Sundays or at whatever event can be performance based. That is, you perform because you have to, and in His grace He grants you a remarkable time.

I want to be unquestionably surrendered and experience life change. That is the kind of life I want to have and I could care less if I perform miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment